Weymouth and Portland Sailing Academy (WPNSA) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
The WPNSA needs to process certain personal data in order to manage the business, for instance membership, run racing events and squad training, take training bookings, manage the boat hoist, take wedding, function, meeting and seminar bookings.
If you have any questions, concerns or comments please email [email protected].
There is now a lot of information about the specifics of what we do, how we do it and why. The important bits are linked with headings to help make it easier to find and digest. But if you're not sure about anything just get in touch.
This policy explains when and why we collect personal information about you, how we use it, how we keep it secure and the circumstances when it may be disclosed to others. The policy also explains your rights in relation to that personal information.
We keep this policy under regular review, and may change it from time to time, so please check this page for any updates.
Who are we?
We are the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy (WPNSA Ltd.), of Osprey Quay, Portland, Dorset, DT5 1SA (we, us).
We work closely with the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) and our onsite partners: Andrew Simpson Foundation, Andrew Simpson Centre, The Official Test Centre, Chesil Sailability and Weymouth and Portland Adventure (part of Weymouth College). These are separate and independent entities which have met the standards required to work with us.
When do we collect your personal information?
We have a range of roles and so collect personal information at different times. These include when you:
- You enter an event
- you become a member of WPNSA
- you use our services for boat hoist and storage, weddings, functions, meetings, seminars or similar
- you book squad training to use the facilities
- you volunteer for WPNSA in any capacity
- you join us a member of staff or agree to become a contractor for us
Use a WPNSA product or service;
- the WPNSA website www.wpnsa.org.uk
- participate in any sporting event, open day, or sporting competition run by us
- enter a competition, promotion or survey run by us
What type of information do we collect?
Common information we ask for includes:
- your name, address, e-mail address and phone number in order to contact you
- financial and credit card information, in order that we can process an order for you
- details of any relevant medical conditions which could affect your participation (which will only be collected when you have provided your express consent)
- the name, address, email address and phone number of your next of kin and/or emergency contact
- details of any relevant training
- details of your participation and performance in sporting events and competitions
- any relevant dietary records and details of your dietary requirements
- details of your current occupation and employment history
- biometric data
- details of any relevant boating, yachting or other sea faring experience you may have
- health information including any particular health conditions or mental or physical impairments you may have which may impact on your role, and details of your qualifications including the results of any examination or assessment
Additional Information we collect about you when you visit the WPNSA website;
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or mobile device to the internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call us
- real time location data from your mobile device
Information about you which we may receive from other sources with whom we work, including;
- Royal Yachting Association
- British Marine
- Class Associations
- Race organisers (including protest committees and juries)
- Sporting regulatory and funding bodies both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the EEA)
- Enforcement agencies both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the EEA)
- Sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services
- Analytics providers
- Search information providers and credit reference agencies
Information which may be provided on your behalf or at your request, for example if:
- any person makes a booking for any of our facilities or other services on your behalf;
- you are a minor and your parent or legal guardian provides us with information about you on your behalf; or
- we take up references for you or seek verification of any of your qualifications from any referee you may have put forward.
The information about you which we may receive from other sources may include;
- details of your membership of other sporting bodies; for instance, class associations
- information received in the course of providing advisory services to recognised training centres and affiliated clubs on safeguarding and child protection
Why do we collect this information?
When we collect information from you directly we explain the reason for collecting that information at the time of collection.To fulfil a contract with you;
- to administer your membership and to provide membership information and membership benefits to you, to notify you about changes to our membership benefits, products, facilities or services
- to provide you with any products and services that you request from us including; items purchased from us and event entries
- to consider an application to join the WPNSA family as an employee, volunteer, director, advisor or in some other capacity, and to manage any such relationship
When it is in our legitimate interests, and our interests are not overridden by your own interests;
- to notify you of any changes or proposed changes in any laws, regulations or best practice in relation to activities which we feel may be of interest to you
- to ask questions for the purposes of market research
- to consider any complaints made to us about you, either in your capacity as a member of the WPNSA family, member, participant or otherwise
When we have obtained your explicit consent to do so;
- When dealing with ‘special categories’ of information such as medical data, biometric or profiling data, passport data or similar as defined by the General Data Protection Regulation, for instance medical information gathered to participate in an event
- Feedback or images in relation to functions, weddings, events, meeting or such like that are used with your permission for production of the WPNSA brochure.
When do we share your information?
We may share your information with certain third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you, or for any service provided to us, including;
- The Royal Yachting Association and class associations both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the EEA) who require the information in order to provide services which you have requested (and who may need to pass the same to emergency and medical services providers, who may be located outside of the EEA)
- race officers and race organisers of events held or managed by us who require the information in order to look after your welfare (and who may need to pass the same to emergency and medical services providers, who may be located outside of the EEA)
- sporting regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the EEA) when it is necessary to comply with our legal obligations
- organisers of sporting events in which you propose to participate both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the EEA)
- prospective employers and any other persons you may refer to us for the purpose of obtaining from us any references or experience
- credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation, or in order to enforce or apply any contract or terms in force between you and us; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of WPNSA, our customers, members or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of security, law enforcement, fraud protection and credit risk reduction
- if you ask, to provide any verification of your qualifications or experience or if you refer any person to us to obtain any verification of your qualifications or experience, we may use your information to provide the verification sought
We will only disclose as much information as is required for the third party to fulfil the particular function and where required to do so we will have a contract in place with third parties requiring them to keep your information secure and not to use if for their own purposes.
We may choose to publish certain information in the public domain or the press:
- We may ask for your consent to use your image or certain personal information for publicity purposes.
- In certain limited situations it may be in our legitimate interests to publish certain personal information about you without asking for your consent. Examples include publishing race results, mentioning you by name in press releases or articles, publishing lists of squad, team or committee member’s names or publishing decisions reached under the Racing Rules of Sailing. Before publishing such information, we will consider the potential impact publishing may have on you, and your rights, and ensure that these are not overridden by our own interests.
How long do we keep your information?
We may keep and process your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, or for as long it is necessary to do so for legal reasons.
We will review your personal information regularly to establish whether we are still entitled to process it. If we decided that we are not entitled to do so, we will stop processing your personal information to the extent that it is appropriate to do so and securely delete or anonymise it.
To determine the appropriate retention period, we will consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of that information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure, and whether we can achieve the purposes for which we process that personal information through other means.
In some cases, you can ask us to delete the personal information we hold about you. Please see the section below titled your rights.
Where do we store your personal information?
Your information may be held at our offices, or on secure servers either owned by the WPNSA or by one of our data processing partners. On occasions your information may be transferred to or stored at other locations, for instance when participating in events. We have in place reasonable technological measures and operational procedures to safeguard your personal information from unauthorised access.
Transferring information outside of the EEA
In some circumstances it is necessary for your personal information to be transferred outside the EEA, for instance when you enter an event where the class association is based outside of the EEA.
You have the following rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you:
- to access your personal information
- to be provided with information about how your personal information is processed
- to have your personal information corrected
- to have your personal information erased. Please be aware that erasing your personal information may prevent us from continuing to provide services to you.
- to object to or restrict how your personal information is processed
- to have your personal information transferred to yourself or to another business in certain circumstances
You have the right to take any complaints about how we process your personal information to the Information Commissioner:https://ico.org.uk/concerns/0303 123 1113Information Commissioner's OfficeWycliffe HouseWater LaneWilmslowCheshire SK9 5AF